What is the Canada-Ukraine Authorization for Emergency Travel?

28 Mar

 In support of those affected by the Russian invasion of Ukraine, we’ve created the Canada-Ukraine authorization for emergency travel (CUAET) to help Ukrainians and their family members come to Canada as quickly as possible and to provide them with the ability to work and study while in Canada.

The CUAET also gives those who are already in Canada the option to extend their visitor status, work permit or study permit so that they can continue to live and work or study in Canada temporarily.

Follow the instructions below for your specific situation.

Temporary residence programs are intended to help those affected by the Russian invasion of Ukraine to seek temporary safe harbour in Canada, until it is safe to return to Ukraine. Temporary residents may be able to apply for permanent residency through various programs, should they decide to stay in Canada at the end of their temporary stay.

About the CUAET

The CUAET gives you a visitor visa to come to Canada temporarily, until it is safe to return to Ukraine. The visitor visa

  • is fee-exempt
  • is valid for 10 years or until your passport expires
  • allows you to travel in and out of Canada, as long as your visa is valid
  • will be processed on a priority basis
  • gives you the option to apply for a fee-exempt work permit at the same time

When you arrive at the border in Canada, you’ll be given status as either a

  • visitor
  • worker, if you applied for the open work permit
  • student, if you’re under 18 and want to study in Canada

You can stay in Canada for up to 3 years at a time or until your passport expires. When your status in Canada is about to expire, you need to apply to extend your stay.

Who can apply

You can apply if you have

  • a valid Ukrainian passport or
  • another national identity document

If you don’t have a valid passport or another identity document, you can still apply. An officer will need to determine if you meet the requirements of a temporary resident permit.

If you’re unvaccinated or partially vaccinated

You can enter Canada if you’re not fully vaccinated. This also applies if the vaccine you got is approved by the World Health Organization, but isn’t currently recognized by Canada. When you arrive in Canada, you need to show that you’re a Ukrainian national or a family member of a Ukrainian national to benefit from this exemption.

You must meet all other public health requirements, such as quarantine and testing. With limited exceptions, all travellers to Canada, including anyone arriving under the CUAET, must also use ArriveCAN.

Find out more about exemptions to the vaccination requirement.


If you’re biometrics-required, you’ll need to give your biometrics if you haven’t given them in the past. You don’t have to pay the biometrics fee. After you submit your application, you will get a biometrics instruction letter. You need to bring this letter with you when you give your biometrics.

Find out where to go to give biometrics

If you gave your biometrics in the past, they may still be valid.

Check if your biometrics are still valid

Medical exam

You don’t need to get an immigration medical exam before coming to Canada. However, if you normally need a medical exam to come to Canada, you may need to get a chest x-ray and a blood test within 90 days of arriving. You’ll get instructions on how to complete this when you arrive.

Find out about medical exams for visitors, students and workers


You don’t have to pay fees for any of the below:

  • temporary resident visa
  • open work permit
  • study permit
  • biometrics
  • temporary resident permit

You’ll need to pay fees for your chest x-ray and blood test if you’re told to get one.

Find out more about fees that are being waived

Working and studying in Canada

Working in Canada

The CUAET gives you the option to apply for a visitor visa and an open work permit at the same time. This work permit is fee-exempt and will let you work for most employers in Canada.

Find out how to apply for the open work permit

Studying in Canada

The CUAET gives you the option to study while in Canada.

Find out how to study in Canada

How to apply for the CUAET

Apply for the CUAET through the IRCC portal.

You can’t submit your application at a Canadian embassy or other Government of Canada office.

How to apply for the CUAET

Family members of Ukrainian nationals

If you’re from an eTA-required country

If you already have a valid visitor visa or eTA

If you’re inside Canada

Deja un comentario

A %d blogueros les gusta esto: